Gatwick soon developed as a flying club in 1934.The Air Ministry issued Gatwick with its first open permit the landing strip to be utilized by business airplane. Another line station was opened at Gatwick in 1935 and was first served via prepares on the Victoria to Brighton line. In 1936 'the Beehive', the planet's first round terminal was formally opened. Throughout the Second World War, the airstrip was demanded by the Air Ministry for utilization by the RAF; its region was later broadened by further ordering to incorporate part of Gatwick Racecourse.
In 1952 the Government gave support for the proposed advancement of Gatwick as an elective to Heathrow. The airstrip expense £7.8 million and took 2¾ years to fabricate. On ninth June 1958 the Queen authoritatively opened the new Gatwick Airport. It was the first airfield on the planet to join air, rail and way transport in a nearby weave single unit. Only four years after the fact work started on developing the airstrip, the terminal was multiplied in size and two more wharfs were constructed. In 1967 traveler figures surpassed 2 million despite any precedent to the contrary.
Development started on the new northern runway, which might be utilized as elective to the fundamental runway if there should arise an occurrence of crises in 1985, and the new £200 million North Terminal was authoritatively opened by The Queen in 1988.
The South Terminal International Departure lounge expansion was finished in 2000 and further upgrades to both terminals have been made.